Wednesday, September 23, 2015

How to be cool, a lesson for Max

I was never cool in school. Unlike my best friend in high school I honestly didn't really think a lot about it. "How could I be more cool and popular?" never crossed my mind. Neither did doing even an iota above the minimum level of effort on anything that wasn't a computer science project. I was a D student at best.

Anyways, this morning my son Max, who is in 4th grade, came in to lay on me - there was no school because of some religious holiday celebrating the fall harvest and I was trying to sleep in. He was complaining about how when I pick him up from school I always raise my arms like a football team just scored and shout loudly, "MAX, YOUR FATHER IS HEEEEERRRRREEE!" I've been doing this so long that now all his friends say it with me and he gets super embarrassed and usually he spends the walk to the car begging me to stop being so uncool.

But of course I'm not going to. Not only because even at 39 I am oblivious to cool. As I tried to explain to him this morning in my pre-coffee stupor, every time someone walks into a room he's going to look over expecting his father shouting his name, half-dreading it, maybe, but it's an event either way. It's a thing that happens. Your father walks into the room and shouts your name.

Half still in dreamland I explained, "If you shout loud enough and long enough it can echo forever, even after you're gone. How cool is that?"


No comments:

Post a Comment